Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dining Disaster!

Remember when I said I was going to have this one, final, big blow out dinner before fully launching into the GAPS Intro again?  Well, that was a huge mistake!

It started out innocently enough.  I was going to dine with a good friend at my favorite restaurant in town, The Bazaar (and hoped that my celebrity chef crush, Jose Andres, would be in town at the restaurant that evening).  Excitement was in the air for sure!  My plan for painless eating - avoid alcohol, gluten and stick to mostly GAPS approved ingredients.  Sounded good, right?

Well, here's how the evening and my belly got derailed.

First, my friend shows up.  She's having a hard time and orders a drink.  I think to myself, "I can't let her drink alone.  She's really suffering."  So, I stick to a low-sugar wine and I vow to myself that I'll only drink one.  Innocent enough, right?

Well, when you've been following GAPS at 80-90% for a while, and you have a glass of wine, your body doesn't actually know what to do with it....at least, my body didn't.  So, halfway through the glass, I'm already intoxicated and a little lightheaded from the alcohol sugar rush I'm getting.  Uh-oh!

Uh-oh is right!  We're discussing the menu with server and I spy my favorite dish on the menu, their famous Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches.  There is honestly no Philly Cheesteak in the world like it.  At The Bazaar, many of the dishes have an artistic twist and a foundation in molecular gastronomy.  This dish in particular, is made with some sort of lighter than air bread pocket, filled with a cheesy bechamel cream and topped with the most delicate, thinly sliced beef.  The flavor combination is a powerhouse!  As is the digestive destruction that's about to ensue because of course, I ordered it!

After eating the Philly Cheesesteak, I know that things have gone awry.  I work diligently and quickly to reign it in, by changing our order to reflect more GAPS friendly ingredients, but it's too late!  Full on intestinal attacks begin.  My poor friend, trying to finish her meal, is hurried along as I proclaim, "I must go home right now!"

It was a long and painful drive home that evening.  One, that ended with a surprised and concerned look from my husband as I entered our home completely doubled over.  It all subsided after a few hours but I will never let it happen again.  LESSON LEARNED!

When you're already 90% of the way GAPS, stay there and keep healing.  Don't cheat.  I promise you, it's not worth it.  I have never looked forward to a cup of warm broth so much in my entire life.

Have you cheated on GAPS?  How did that work out for ya?  Join the discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment