Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My GAPS Redemption

carrots_1.jpgIt's been 2 weeks since my dining disaster.  The road back to digestive bliss was much quicker than anticipated since I was already following the GAPS protocol.  My dear husband was on red alert when I came home doubled-over that fateful evening and had already prepared a lovely bowl of homemade chicken soup for me.  This did wonders to begin the healing process anew.  Through this broth, I have been redeemed and begin again!

Since my husband and I are busy parents, we like to make our chicken broth simply & quickly when we don't have time to do an overnight version.

Here's our "Stock On The Fly" recipe.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hrs (up to 3 hours depending on how much fat you want to render)


Equipment
10 Qt Stock Pot & Lid (or really, any size pot that will hold the chicken!)

Ingredients
1 Pasture-Raised or Organic Whole Chicken
6 Carrots, peeled and cut in thirds
2 Stalks of Celery, rinsed and cut in half
1 Onion, roughly chopped
Bunch of Fresh Herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary)
Enough Water to fill the pot
Salt & Pepper
  1. First things first, take out the package of organs & chicken parts that's stuffed inside the bird (I once forgot to do this!)
  2. Rinse off the chicken, place it in the pot
  3. Sprinkle Salt & Pepper over the chicken
  4. Place the onion, carrots & celery in the pot
  5. Throw in the fresh herbs
  6. Fill the pot up with water (1 in. from the top)
  7. Cook on high until water begins to boil, then turn down to low and let it simmer slowly for 1 1/2 hours.  If you're trying to draw out as much goodness from the fat and bones for GAPS, you can cook it up to 3 hours.
If you've got the time for a terrific recipe for 24-hour chicken broth, check out Molly's blog at Organic Spark.  It's one of the best blogs around.

As soon as I'm finished with the GAPS Intro Diet - I'll start posting my Global GAPS Cuisine recipes.  Hang tight!  You know how much time it takes to get do all the cooking to get through the intro.....

How did the GAPS Intro diet go for you? Do you have a favorite recipe for broth?  Share with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment